Tuesday 13 May 2014

Stage 5. We start to design our personal identity. First part

We still improving our skills on inDesign and we started to build our personal identity.

Own visual identity: this will include a logo, typographic and colour palette that can be applied to my online portfolio, stationery, CV etc. In an earlier post (stage 3) I classified, define/identify different types of logos. So, after that I will start  by designing my own logotype using your name or pseudonym.

For  my identity I will use my pseudonym: Mariajo Ilustrajo.

Why this name?

It is a word game. My name is María José but everybody calls me "Mariajo", because is shorter. And about Ilustrajo: Ilustr- is because I am an illustrator, so ilustr- is the root of illustrator and ajo- rhymes with Mariajo. It is like a...fun name! And it is easy to remember.
So I already have all my social media with Mariajo Ilustrajo or just Ilustrajo as in twitter: @ilustrajo.


*I have realized that this name is not that easy to remember in this country or just the pronunciation. Because "j" sounds very hard and difficult in english language.
Anyway...lets go to see how works.

In stage 3, I started to play with my name changing just kerning, contrast, space, etc. As you can see in the following image:



I started with a simple typography, sans serif (Helvetica). But I can see this typography is very "cold" for me. I don´t feel identified with this typography.


Then I tried with a serif typography.
(Minion Pro and Nueva Std)


Also I tried with other different typographies as you can see in the following images.
(PortagoITC TT, CM PARTY HEADLINE, Brain Flower, Honey Script, Cracked, cinnamon cake, Own Written...). 





And I quite like some of this examples but even these typographies are still being a bit cold for me. 

I consider myself as a very analog illustrator with a very fresh and spontaneous line.
So I think would be a good idea start to do some sketches of my logo by hand.
And see how works.

I did some sketches with pencils, brush and inks,  different markers...

















After hundreds of sketches, I chose some parts from the different sketches, and I build the logo by photoshop. Then I vectorized it by illustrator very quick.
And this is the result:


I showed my logotype progress to the rest of the class. And I received some good and helpful feedbacks.



People said things as: 
my logo is very illustrative. So, it shows what I do.
Look like handwriting, so very good because it was my intention,
It has a lot of energy. And I think is very good because I am a very energetic person. And also I think is a good quality.

About "bad" things...several people said it could look a bit "Disney". And probably it is true. And I don´t feel like I want to show a Disney face. So I have to work on it.





One of the contribution from my teachers was:
What happens if I reduce my logo a lot!?

A logo should works in all sizes...very very small like for a letter or an envelop or very big as for a building.



 
Some of my notes. (very messy "spanglish")

*Also we talked about what our logo says. And we compare it with the good example of balumba/ tacote.
Which one is "balumba" and who "tacote"?



Is it my logo soft? acute? agressive? nice?...? Is my logo balumba or tacote?
Balumba. Very balumba.

No comments:

Post a Comment