Tuesday 13 May 2014

Stage 5. Personal identity. Second part.


We still with our personal identity.
And we started to think in wordmarks, letter marks, icons/symbols, combination and emblems for our identity.












As I done earlier, I still designing my logo by hand.







For this stage I was working in my letter mark, icon/symbol and combitation (lettermark + icon).

Letter mark Mj



Icon/ symbol Garlyc



Combination Lettermark + Icon Handwriting of my nickname + garlic
.
This is the combination logotype with a new hand drawing typeface of my nickname + my icon: a garlic.

Why a garlic? As I explain earlier, in some of the earlier post, Mariajo Ilustrajo is a wordgame but literaly the translation in english is: Mary garlic.
So I thought could be a possibility to do a garlic as a icon.


This day, we discussed in groups of 3-4 people about our logos. And then we choose "the best one" for show it later to the rest of the class.
My group choose mine.



Feedback:

Again I received a really good and helpful feedback from every one in class and teachers.

Apparently the garlic idea doesn´t work very good for several things.
Some persons said the garlic looks like a nose. A big cartoon nose.
Other people said garlic could look like something for the kitchen, or restaurant logotype, food concept in general.

Also garlic could have a bad connotations. 
Something to sent away vampires...? something smelly?
Some people likes garlic but look like in UK has bad connotations.

And this point is very interesting. Because the same thing could mean different things depending the reading of the country, the situation, the culture, the age, the gender...or just the personal interpretation of every person.

In this case we could think (if we are in the point of view from UK readers):
garlic = something very smelly/ something on the kitchen
garlic = a mediterranean ingredient. So, something exotic.

It could be a bad/ good connotation.


A logotype should talk about ourselves. So we need to think about what we want to
transmit.
And obviously I don´t want to look like something smelly. And be "exotic"/ foreign could be good or bad just depending of every person.

So, my conclusion is that I will discard the idea of the garlic in my logo. 
I was just testing different ideas but I wasn´t very sure about this one. Because also in Spain I don´t need to explain anything. A mean, If I say: "My name is Mariajo".
People knows -ajo means garlic. Is something fast. Spontaneus. People doesn´t need to stop and think about what ajo means. 

But for english speakers "Mariajo" or just "ajo" doesn´t mean anything. so probably if I put a garlic as an icoon in my logo, probably most of the people will ask me, why I have a garlic in my logo if I am an illustrator.
And I should explain that Mariajo means Marygarlic. 
So wouldn't be something fast and spontaneous in the people's minds.



 Some of my notes. (very messy "spanglish")


Emblem Garlic character?

Matt proposed to me work in the idea to create a character with the garlic icon. Maybe exploit the idea or just ignore it!
But after the feedback of the people in class. I don´t really feel like working in that idea .
So I had other idea for my emblem. I think an emblem should be as the logo, very recognizable and I have a little sketch of a lovely girl that I used in so many t-shirt designs, mugs, bussines cards... and a lot of people recognized with that character.

So I am thinking to work in that idea algo to use it for  my business cards.  Because I think is already a part of my identity.

This is the picture:
"Carrot girl"




I tried to do some tests in photoshop with her as emblem...





No comments:

Post a Comment